Thursday 2 July 2009

Sticky Hoisin Roast Chicken Wings

SAM TAN'S KITCHEN HAS MOVED! Please visit the new website/online store at www.samtanskitchen.com. You can also follow Sam on InstagramFacebook and Twitter. Thank you!
Extremely simple but so delicious- my Mum's recipe originally called for minced garlic (I eventually got too lazy) and actual chicken pieces, but I've found that wings absorb the flavour best. Be sure to use only Lee Kum Kee hoisin sauce- no other brand tastes as good.

Cut 1 kg chicken wings into two parts, separating at the joints between the drummets and the wings.

Coat each piece well and refrigerate overnight with:
4 tbsp Lee Kum Kee hoisin sauce
2 tbsp light soy sauce
2 tbsp Shaoxing cooking rice wine (or dry sherry)


When ready to cook, arrange the pieces on a baking tray lined with foil and baste with marinade. Drizzle generously with lots of honey.


Roast at about 200C (395 F) for about 25 mins or until a nice caramelised reddish brown. Flip wings over, glaze again with lots of honey and any leftover marinade and continue roasting until golden and sticky.


*If your wings are cooked but look too pale for your liking, drizzle with honey and place it on the top rack of your oven under the grill/broil function for a few mins until it bubbles and turns deep red. This is a quick cheat to get the honey to caramelise faster.

Let it cool a little so you don't burn your fingers. Then devour!

10 comments:

  1. LOVE hoisin sauce. this recipe makes so much sense - combining savory sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Becky, yes hoisin rocks my world too! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also think Lee Kum Kee is the best tasting brand for Hoisin. I make a similar chicken wing by combining 2 T each Lee Kum Kee hoisin and Lee Kum Kee Chili Garlic sauce with 1/4 c molasses. Delicious! ~Krista S.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds good Krista, their version of Chili Garlic is pretty good too so I bet it's really tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never heard of Hoisin sauce. But will definitely try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. before this the only thing I have used it in was Pha, a Vietnamese soup. So good. I have this marinating in the fridge right now. Hope it is as good as it looks.

      Delete
  6. mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.... yum yum.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I JUST BOUGHT THE INGREDIENTS BUT MADE A MISTAKE I BOUGHT RICE VINAGER CAN I USE THAT?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure about that but rice wine is the same as Saki.

      Delete